Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Bucharest
ICUB Exact Sciences Division Head
ICUB Exact Sciences Division Head
National Institute of Research and Development of Biological Sciences
Email: apaun [at] fmi.unibuc.ro
Paul-Andrei Păun received the B.Sc. degree from the University of Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania, in 1998, and the M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada, in 1999 and 2003, respectively.
He held a Post-Doctoral Fellowship with Rovira y Virgili University, Tarragona, Spain, and the Vienna University of Technology, Vienna, Austria, in 2003. He has been a Professor of Computer Science with Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, LA, USA, and the University of Bucharest. His current research interests include membrane computing, formal language theory, systems biology, and bioinformatics.
· 2003 PhD in Computer Science, University of Western Ontario, Ontario, Canada, supervisor: Prof. Dr. Sheng YU
· 1999 MSc in Computer Science, University of Western Ontario, Ontario, Canada
· 1998 BSc in Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Bucharest, Romania
· 2009 – present – University of Bucharest, Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, Romania
· 2007 – present - National Institute of Research and Development for Biological Sciences(INCDSB)
· 2003-2009 – Computer Science, College of Engineering and Science, Louisiana Tech University, USA
· 2003 - NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowships Program - Universidad Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain and the Vienna University of Technology, Vienna, Austria
A list of publications and bibliometric information can be obtained through ResearcherID Number: A-5292-2008
Most of my publications can be accessed through DBLP servers.
· 2016 – President of the Scientific Council, University of Bucharest (elected for 4 years term)
· 2015 Member of the University of Bucharest senate (elected for 4 years term)
· 2014-present – ICUB coordinator of the Exact Sciences Division
· 2015- present - Evaluator in of the Romanian Agency for Quality Assurance in Higher Education (ARACIS) Agency – member of the National Register of ARACIS Evaluators for Computer Science
· 2012-present - Member of the CNATDCU Computer Science section
PRIZES, RECOGNITIONS, AWARDS
· Grigore C. Moisil Prize of the Romanian Academy of Science for Computer Science, awarded in December 2015.
· 2013 Habilitation in Computer Science, University of Bucharest
· “Professor Bologna” from the associations of Romanian students (ANOSR) after being nominated by my students from University of Bucharest (http://www.profitari.ro/ ), awarded 2011.
· 2004 Graduate Studies Faculty - PhD Supervision in Computer Science – Louisiana Tech University
· “The Power of Communication: P Systems with Symport/Antiport” was selected in 2002 by Thomson ISI Essential Science Indicators as one of the most influential/cited papers and ranks in the top 1% in the field.
· Hirsch Index 11 in ISI, H index 20 in Google Scholar, more than 465 citations in ISI, more than 1500 citations in Google scholar,
· Over 60 ISI papers, 8 books or book chapters in prestigious publishing houses. All publications are since 1997.
· Participated in 15 research grants (national and international), Principal Investigator/director for 2 National Science Foundation(NSF) grants, 1 Louisiana Board of Regents grant and 4 PNII national grants
· April 2006 - Referee member in NSF panel for grants in Computational Biology area
· Invited Seminars (selected list) at:
o Zhengzhou University of Light Industry, China,
o Institute of Mathematics "Simion Stoilow" of the Romanian Academy
o Princeton University (NSF workshop on Emerging Models and Technologies for Computation: Bio-Inspired Computing and the Biology and Computer Science Interface)
o The Microsoft Research - University of Trento: Centre for Computational and Systems Biology (COSBI)
o IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, New York
o University of California at Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, USA
o Vienna University of Technology, Austria
o Rovira i Virgili University, Tarragona, Spain
o Binghamton University, State University of New York, Binghamton, USA,
· PhD Students:
Current – University of Bucharest
o Cristian Tudor Popescu
o Mircea Digulescu
Graduated – Louisiana Tech Univesity
o Shenghua Ni, graduated March 2010, currently Database Analyst at Vanderbilt University, USA.
o John Jack, graduated May 2009, Research Scientist at North Carolina State University, USA.
o Bianca Popa, graduated November 2006, currently Inspector at Competition Council, Romania